Blog Requirements and Procedures
This year you will post your independent reading. We will place more emphasis on quality than quantity in our reflections.
- You will post at three week intervals per quarter
(This means approximately three times per quarter.)
- Your posts must be at least 400 words in length
- Your post will be in two parts – a plot summary and a reflection
- You will spell check your post and correctly punctuate your writing
1. Indicate the pages you read (EX: pages 1-102)
2. Provide a summary paragraph (250 words) of what has happened thus far
3. Include a paragraph reflecting (150 words) on the following:
- an emerging/repeating theme and how the author is choosing to portray the theme
EX: I notice that the theme of loneliness continues to be developed. Marlow is isolated both geographically and by the fact that he has had experiences very different than his shipmates….)
- an especially interesting/well-written quote from with a discussion of why you chose it
EX: “The brown current ran swiftly out of the heart of darkness, bearing us down towards the sea with twice the speed of our upward progress; and Kurtz’s life was running swiftly, too, ebbing, ebbing out of his heart into the sea of inexorable time. . . . I saw the time approaching when I would be left alone of the party of ‘unsound method.’”
This excerpt emphasizes Marlowe’s inability to control the inevitable. He’s witness to Kurtz’s rapid deterioration and can do nothing about it. I liked how the author uses the metaphor of the river to tie the two events together…
- a commentary on your reading experience thus far
EX: It is interesting to see Marlowe, who began this expedition as an idealistic new captain, now lose his sense of purpose. Every step of this journey has “undone” him. None of what he expected to happen has happened. In fact, his experience on the Cong0 river is worse than anything he could ever possibly imagine.
1. Each comment must indicate which entry to which you are responding. Please use the writer’s gaggle name.
2. Each comment must speak directly to what the other student has written.
3. Each comment must be at least 50 words in length.
4. Each comment must be respectful and thoughtful.
*Such responses as “Good Job”, “Nice Post”, etc will not be considered valid comments. Your comments need to have substance.